The KODANSHA Game Creators’ Lab, a project to support indie game creators, began accepting applications in July 2020 with the catchphrase, “We’ll give you up to 10 million yen a year to create the game of your choice.” The project is an initiative to support indie game creators by assigning them an “editor in charge” and providing support for production, publishing, overseas development, and media mixing. So far, the program has conducted two annual recruiting campaigns, receiving a total of more than 2,000 applications.
In order to respond to the faced paced world, we have changed the annual recruitment to four times a year (once every three months) and changed the name to “Game Creators’ Lab Audition (GCLA)” effective July 1, 2022.
Thanks to your support, we have received as many applications as ever for “GCLA Vol. 1”, which we started recruiting in July 2022, and “GCLA Vol. 2”, which started recruiting in October 2022. Thank you very much.
*Please see below for the titles we are currently supporting.
And today, Wednesday, February 1, 2023, at 18:00, we will begin accepting applications for “GCLA Vol. 3”!
There are two major changes in this edition.
The first one is ……
Previously, the maximum payment of 5 million yen every six months had been paid only up to 4 times, however, from this time on, the payment period will be uncapped!
This allows us to support large-scale projects that may take several years to complete.
And second, please visit ……
The application guidelines for analog games will be renewed! The details are as follows.
- 1,000,000 yen in prize money will be awarded.
- All manufacturing, production, advertising, and other expenses will be covered by KODANSHA.
- Contractual royalty system based on the number of games produced.
- The higher royalty rate for additional print runs!
- We are eagerly awaiting your project using KODANSHA’s IP!
The “full support system by KODANSHA,” which is a benefit of membership, will remain the same as for digital games.
Please see below for other details.
Full support system by KODANSHA (implemented for both digital and analog games)
- Multiple support by editors in charge of planning
- Support for English and multilingualization
- Publishing support
- Publicity, advertising, and sales support through KODANSHA media
- Support for multimedia development of works
- Support for IP licensing and collaboration projects
- Support for accompanying press interviews
- Unlimited use of motion capture equipment “OptiTrack”
- 5 million yen (excluding tax) is paid every six months for digital games, with no upper limit for the duration of the contract.
- 1,000,000 yen prize money for analog games + KODANSHA’s share of expenses + royalty contract based on the number of games produced
- Copyright belongs to the applicant.
- Full support by the editor in charge
How to apply
Please apply for the KODANSHA Game Creators Lab audition using the application form below.
*This form is also used to submit game submissions and game introductions.
Period: February 1, 2023 (Wed) 18:00 – April 2, 2023 (Sun) 23:59
You can apply for multiple projects, but please apply for one project at a time per entry form.
If you can send an analog game machine, please mail it to the address below with your name and contact information attached for the application.
＜If you send your entry by mail, please send your name and contact information to the following address＞
Kodansha Ltd. 2-12-21 Otowa, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 112-8001
The Creators’ Lab, No.4 Business Bureau “Game Creators’ Lab Audition” Application Section
Notes on Application
- Application data and entries will not be returned. Please make a photocopy of your application if necessary.
- Personal information sent to us will be used only for the purpose of selection. It will not be used for any other purpose without your permission.
About the submitted project
- The game is currently under development or a proposal (that shows the features and outline of the development. Any format is acceptable.)
- (Preferably to be enjoyed around the world.
- Games distributed via Steam, etc., smartphone app games, analog games (any genre or type is acceptable)
- Unreleased ones (sequels are acceptable)
- Projects using KODANSHA novels, manga, etc. are also acceptable
*KODANSHA will inquire whether permission is granted to copyright holders during the final selection process, so applicants are requested not to contact the copyright holders or the editorial department at the time of application. In addition, please refrain from submitting content that infringes on the moral rights of the author or harms the honor or reputation of the author.
Rights and Contracts
- Copyrights to all submitted plans and programs (including adopted plans, programs, and deliverables) belong to the contributors themselves.
- Upon selection as a GCLA member, you will be required to sign an agreement with KODANSHA regarding the deliverables of this project (hereinafter referred to as the “Agreement”).
- Until this Agreement is executed in writing, there shall be no rights or obligations between the Applicant and KODANSHA for this audition. Any legal relationship between the Applicant and KODANSHA after the conclusion of this Agreement shall be governed by the terms of this Agreement.
- The above terms and conditions will be fully explained during the interview and prior to the conclusion of the contract, and the contract will be concluded only after the applicant has agreed to the terms and conditions. Please be assured that your application does not constitute acceptance of the contract.
Early May 2023
Announcement of applicants who pass the document screening
Late June 2023
GCLA members will be selected and the project will begin.
*Only successful applicants will be contacted at each stage of the selection process.
The audition committee members of KODANSHA Game Creator’s Lab will judge the applications rigorously.
- The content, schedule, etc. of this audition may be changed or canceled without prior notice at the discretion of KODANSHA.
- All personal information submitted will be managed responsibly in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Law and will be destroyed appropriately at the end of the selection process.